Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

How Many Fans Have Walked Away From Nfl Because of Players Protests

Earlier this week, we promulgated letters from readers who said they are walking away from the NFL because they discord with players peacefully protesting racial inequality and police force brutality during the national hymn. In reply to those opinions, readers on the other root of the take wrote in to say that they financial backing the demonstrations and to challenge the argument that much gestures disrespect the iris, the military and the country. Some of the letters have been lightly edited for length and clarity.

Image placeholder title

After seeing the item on the SI web site astir fans giving up on the NFL in the waken of the players' protests this past weekend, I was moved to write and tell you that here, at least, is one fan who is doing the opposite. I am proud of the players for standing up (or kneeling, or linking arms) for something bigger than themselves, and for using their fame and visibility to fight shabbiness and to give a sound to those who let none. I volition pull round a full point to ticker and support the players and teams who are screening us what it really means to glucinium citizens of this nation.— David Posner, Chicago

Image placeholder title

I have detected very much of personally disturbing rhetoric around the national hymn protest in the past week. But instead of existence negative and arguing against this rhetoric, I fair want to be irrefutable and allege that I call up it's great the way players take up come together and supported each unusual the last week. It gives me hope in these very divisive times that people fanny find ways to peacefully and respectfully sound out that racism is not okay. I leave be continuing to watch along Sundays.— Angie Jameson

Image placeholder title

Whether we like or not, professional athletes are visible in society and often serve as role models. When we deliver a societal trouble, we need thoughtful discourse that reaches a broad cross-section, and celebrities can contribute to this. Spell I disagree vehemently with the practice, many other citizens (in earlier days) have elective to burn the signal flag to publicize their concerns and our courts have consistently ruled that this is within their First Amendment right to unloosen speech.  The pre-game actions of NFL players (and past professional athletes) are, by comparability, much milder and Thomas More respectful of the state and our flag, and are surely well within free speech rights.  The fact that our nation's leadership is thus obviously unaware of this constitutional trade protection is truly chilling and I spat the actions of athletes in vertical up to authority, especially authority that is so ignorant and badly misplaced.

My stake in NFL football has waned over the years as its impacts connected players' wellness have become better understood, but I have developed a new respect and am much presumptive to tune in to forthcoming games.  I hope our role models bequeath continue to go after courteous gestures protecting our rights as American citizens. — Joe, Asheville, N.C.

Image placeholder title

When I read your readers' comments about why they would no longer support the NFL, a common theme was "I don't want to have to think about this stuff."

That's understandable, but it's indicative of the privilege they enjoy that they can expect to have that quality and wield their fiscal king (in the chassis of cancelled or refunded subscriptions to Billy Sunday Ticket, etc.) to state their disfavor. For very much of people in this country, though, there IS no choice of ignoring police brutality and issues of inequality. Indifference would leave alone us in mortal danger of falling victim to these very concrete problems. Even saying that, awareness only is not a shield.

Some commenters suggested alternatives to the sideline demonstrations, every last of which seemed designed to make them easier to ignore. What's the point of a demonstration no matchless notices? If the comforted are never made uncomfortable, what spurs necessary elite evolution?

Finally, not one reader quoted in the article placed blame happening the real make behind the most Recent activities: President Trump's inflammatory remarks. He mixed political sympathies, sports and opinion in a right smart that athletes felt compelled to solvent. But not united commenter blamed him; in fact, a couple seemed to support and agree with his derogatory and corrupt statements. I don't know why I foretold anything more than enlightened. Blaming the song burdened is an oft-elect alternative to holding the oppressor accountable. It's as wel much easier.

Thusly if they desire to go back to their afternoons on the lake or to spending more time with their former football widows, that's fine. They and their descendants still will be able to delight the better international several others of us are trying to bring about. — Terry E. Manning

Image placeholder title

I find it interesting that all these fans say they are leaving football game payable to the protests, yet none of them go after the President for inflaming the takings and creating a more politicized environment. However, I would like to give thanks them for leaving as IT will free up more tickets for me, a lifelong Raiders fan, and allow me to ward of spending time with them. My father fought in Vietnam War, and my older pal fought in Desert Storm and is a police tec in the Bay Arena, and neither of them feel the protests are discourteous to the military. What is disrespectful is the United States President attacking ordinary citizens about irenic protests while U.S. citizens in Porto Rico sit with out power, clean water and food. If you are offended by the protests, that is your right, but at least deliver the integrity to admit and condemn a President WHO continually attacks middling citizens in vile shipway. He brought this upward. IT was leaving until he did this to distract everyone from the damage of the hurricanes, the failure to regenerate healthcare and the decision to cut taxes on the rich (especially himself with the lower pass-through tax rate). I will be glad to not spend time with you along October 8 when I serve the Raiders vs. Ravens in Oakland. — Vince

Systeme International Recommends

Image placeholder title

Staying in the locker rooms was common for many geezerhood prior to 9/11, exclude for big games, and IT is the smart fashio to handle it now. If you are in the storage locker room, you rear't protestation by kneel—it simply prevents the act. The real issue these fans have isn't the "disrespect" to the flag. It's that it is easier to call these players jeering than to actually address the legitimate issues our country has with race and poverty. I don't let the answers, I'm just not that intelligent. However, I felt compelled to indite to call these "fans" out on their hypocrisy.— David

Image placeholder title

I am a fighting-hurt oldtimer of the Marine Army corps. I'm burnt-out of these "fans" picking and choosing the Constitutional amendments they believe in. Either you support the First Amendment of free language operating theatre not. I will stand for the anthem, just I respect one's right not to. More significantly, I understand wherefore players are sitting/kneeling. White person people have no idea what IT's like to be stopped past law for no more otherwise reason other than organism born black. I will bear on to keep an eye on football and sympathize with the players' protest. I only wish I knew what to do to fix the job of police brutality and the inherent racialism in this commonwealth. When these problems are solved we South Korean won't have citizens/players exercising their right to peacefully protest.— Alan Millstein, proud veteran, USMC 1964-68

Image placeholder title

I pedestal firmly on one side of this debate. However, this email is non about defending that side. After reading the MMQB article of the emails from fans who are walking outside from the NFL, I have come to the conclusion that these respondents are the ones World Health Organization deserve the most criticism. Politics in this country affects, instantly or indirectly, every aspect of every American's life. To simply withdraw with the mentality 'I do not want to get wind virtually politics' is lassitude at its C. H. Best and dastardliness at its whip. I may powerfully disagree with one's belief, simply I would fight to the death for their right to express information technology. The one thing I have no respect for is active drug withdrawal. Listen to others and talk your mind. Society demands it. Seth from N.Y.

Image placeholder title

I found the emails you chose to publish regarding "The Fans Who Say They're Walking Away from the NFL" interesting. Exciting, for example, that they curst the players for "political sympathies," when for the players it was NEVER about politics (which is why 50 men of versatile ethnic persuasions and profession affinities could harmonise to merge). Donald Horn, by injecting himself into the moot for the purposes of appeasing his supporters during a political rally, and by continuing to stoke the flames of diversion via his tweets, made it about political relation.

Interesting that people who could love football while the NFL employed convicted felons directly cannot bear to watch it when the players chose to express their objection to organism called "sons of b------."

Interesting that people can demonize Colin Kaepernick for being a "troublemaker,"  when as a matter of fact Kaepernick had been unmoving on the bench for the anthem for multiple games, away from the cameras, never drawing attention to himself, before [the media] pointed the spotlight on him. How they can forget that his kneeling was actually a via media, since people had such a problem with him bu seated.

Stimulating that people can bawl out the Dallas Cowboys for linking arms in unity and kneel, when it WASN'T during the anthem, and the flag was NOT beingness presented. Explain to me how they were beingness "disrespectful" to the sacrifice veterans have made?

Once more, this isn't about politics. It never was, at least not for the players. And in that respect is no more proof of that and so the reaction of those "Who Suppose They're Walk Out from the NFL." It is those mass who are the true personification of the real issue. And the fact that they saw atomic number 102 problem cheering on [alleged] rapist and domestic vehemence perpetrators but are "disgusted" away men who want to express their objection to inequality, speaks volumes.— Edward, Seattle

Image placeholder title

As far equally I am concerned, injustices to humankind are furthest more Copernican than an anthem operating theatre flag. White hoi polloi don't wish to support black football players World Health Organization want to make them aware of their white perquisite. I am white and I love football. I am footsore of self-righteous people World Health Organization think they're Christian. I'm trusty God doesn't give a rat's a-- close to flags or anthems. I'm sure God does care about police brutality and polish off against people of colour. I can tell you in that respect are more hoi polloi like me who support freedom of speech and care more or less man beings, no matter their race.— Vikki Inviolable

Image placeholder title

I asked my supporter, an intelligent Republican and Outflank supporter, what he would do if he were a prominent back athlete feeling the need to protest the treatment of black populate in America. My friend replied helium would do something peaceful, like Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu. I said that's what these athletes are doing. So I asked him to be to a greater extent specific, to suggest something otherwise than taking a articulatio genus; he has yet to answer. I bang Malcolm Jenkins, who plays safety for the Philadelphia Eagles, has been taking a knee and using his position to work with the Philadelphia police and the community of interests in developing programs and understanding.

Unfurling the flag and singing the national hymn aren't component of football game. Neither is flying jets overhead. These are symbols introduced to inflame our patriotism. No more one is attacking those symbols, and they Don River't need defending.

Many in America are missing the point on the nose because they want to miss the point. There is no pacify room to bring up our institutionalized racism, no way to do so that will not wee-wee us uncomfortable. To contend that it should be done otherwise, that it shouldn't be done before a football lame operating theater similar, is to enunciat "execute it where I preceptor't make to visualise it."

I accept grandchildren livelihood in mixed neighborhoods in West Philadelphia and multi-pagan ones in San Francisco, and they free rein and go to school with kids of other races, religions and ethnic backgrounds without any issues. They don't care or notice the differences. Whatever hate or secernment they may modernize testament come from us, their family, friends, neighbors and community.

America is not a homogeneous, white country. That will not convert. The sooner we quit our goal-directed blindness and hearing loss and name and address the literal issues, the better. —Jim Kempner

Image placeholder title

Is at that place anyway you could reach out to the NFL and feel out how many season tickets were actually canceled this calendar week? I would love to know how many people gave up their tickets ... especially because I've been on the Capital of Colorado Broncos' wait list for 8 years and hopefully will be named soon. — Sight Sikora

Interrogative sentence or comment? Email us at talkback@themmqb.com.

How Many Fans Have Walked Away From Nfl Because of Players Protests

Source: https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/29/nfl-national-anthem-protests-racial-inequality-police-brutality-fans-support-players-demonstrations

Postar um comentário for "How Many Fans Have Walked Away From Nfl Because of Players Protests"